Chinese Study in America (University or English Language School or Vocational School)

WQS can help you qualify to study in the USA...

Study English
in America
List of Schools
Help with Application
Help with Visa
Sign Up Now
University Degree
in America
List of Schools
Help with Application
Help with Visa
Sign Up Now
Vocational School
in America
List of Schools
Help with Application
Help with Visa
Sign Up Now
Exchange Visitor
in America
List of Schools
Help with Application
Help with Visa
Sign Up Now

Chinese study in USA (How to apply and get approved)

Apply to schools first then get your visa:

  • STEP 1
    Decide that you want to study in the USA (study English Program or University Degree or Vocational School). 
  • STEP 2
    Apply to schools that suit your goals. Once you are accepted to an SEVP-certified school, they will give you a document called a Form I-20. The school must be an SEVP-certified school.
  • STEP 3
    Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. This fee is required for all F and M students as well as J exchange visitors.
  • STEP 4
    After getting a receipt, you can apply for a visa at any American embassy or consulate before you leave for the United States.

Types of Visas

  • F-1 Student Visa:
    If you want to study at an accredited U.S. college or university,
    or to study English at a university or language institute.
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa:
    If you will be participating in an educational or cultural exchange program.
  • M-1 Student Visa:
    If you will enroll in nonacademic or vocational programs.

Checklist for Visa

  • You must be enrolled (accepted) in a full-time student "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program approved by USCIS
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.

Study English in the USA - Requirements

Many Universities are authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

  • Be willing to apply themselves to the demanding language-learning program,
  • Be 18 years old or older or completed secondary schooling, and
  • Be able to prove you have adequate resources to cover expenses (study program charges and living expenses) for the entire period of study.

Study English in the USA - Process

To apply for the program, you must complete all of the following before being considered.
  1. Fill out an application.
  2. Complete a financial statement.
  3. Pay a $50.00-$100.00 non-refundable application fee.
  4. Provide transcripts of your academic records.

Lies and Truths about Studying Abroad

LIE 1: The United States Government sets a limit on quantity of visas issued to control the number of foreign students entering the country.
TRUTH: There is no limit to the number of student visas issued by U.S. embassies and consulates around the world. If a person has gained admission at an approved institution (English Training Center, University or Vocational School) and qualifies for a student visa, the U.S. government wants you to pursue that opportunity.
LIE 2: Immediately upon completing the course/degree you must return to your home country and cannot stay in the USA.
TRUTH: Usually you may stay for 60 days after completion of your course/degree and can travel, sight-see etc. You may also apply for Optional Practical Training to work for up to one year in your field in the United States to gain practical experience. It is also possible to apply for an H-1B visa if you are a professional or student being sponsored by a U.S. employer to work as a specialist in the United States and extend your stay by several years. 
LIE 3: A visa applicant needs to provide proof of a minimum income level.
TRUTH: A student visa applicant should be able to provide financial evidence that shows you, your parents, or your sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses for the the period of your intended study.
LIE 4: Only the top students get visas.
TRUTH: Visas are not reserved only for top students.  However, to obtain a visa depends on first having gained acceptance to a language center or college or university in the United States (please contact us for a list of US government approved institutions). Many Chinese who finish high school academically qualify for an American University. Language centers typically have lower entrance standards.


LIE 5: You’ll get a visa only if you are highly skilled in English.
TRUTH: If you are planning to study English in the United States, you do not need to speak the language well. Command of the English language is one factor that consular officers will use in evaluating the overall competence of a student applying for a visa. Sufficient English proficiency, however, is a per-requisite for J1 exchange visitor visa applicants.
LIE 6: International students are not permitted to work while visiting the United States on a student visa.
TRUTH: Some job opportunities are possible, especially in on-campus work-study programs with limited hours. Many Universities have programs to help international students get jobs or if a graduate student to teach or assist in research projects. WQS can provide information on available assistance and how to apply.
LIE 7: You must have your long-term future plans clearly outlined to get a visa.
TRUTH: You need to be able to discuss your short-term study plan or goals, but you do not need to discuss a detailed plan for your entire career. You may decide to get advice and counseling on career choice or get trained on interviewing etc so as to help prepare for the visa interview.
LIE 8: I can improve my chances of getting a visa if I hire an education agent.
TRUTH: Self-proclaimed visas “fixers” have no special access to the U.S. government. You may chose to get assistance with paper work and filing or help with test preparation etc., but the final decision rests on the US government and their independent decision. WQS can help you to pick the best school, get everything prepared properly so you can obtain your approval from the institution ( US/American - University, English Training Center or Vocational School ) and go into the visa interview with confidence.